My Life

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Do chipmunks eat mint?



So, I've been trying to grow a garden. I have 3 tomato plants, one zuchinni and some other random stuff. I've had varying degrees of success, but my mint plants have been my particular problem child. I got some little peat starter things to grow them in, and I got them to sprout, but they died before they got big enough to transplant. So I tried again, and decided to keep them inside because it might be safer. But then my dirt was getting white spots on the top, which i thought might be mold, so i set it outside to dry out a bit. After two days outside, I had one little plant, about 0.5 cm high, left alive. I decided to move it inside after my (last) training run. When I got back there was a cute little chipmunk on the porch. he ran away as i approached, but as I went to pick up my pot I noticed little poops around the base. And then I noticed that the dirt inside was much disheveled. Do you think the chipmunk was digging in my dirt? Did he smell the mint, or was he trying to bury a nut? I planted some new seeds tonight. If these don't grow, maybe I'll try lettuce. As a houseplant.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    10 years later...

    I've had chipmunks living under my porch for a while. They don't really touch my petunias, phlox, or lavendar. But today, I caught a moment of one of the chipmunks sitting on the table between my plants. I grabbed a cup of coffee and came back outside to realize that sneaky little turd dug up the roots of my mint plant!

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I have had chocolate mint growing for several years - which I have to contain. But chipmonks are not attracted nor deterred- they go to my tomato plants right next to the mint! Going to go with Peppermint oil soaked in cotton!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home